UPDATE (22 March 2013): This extension is now superseded for EggTimer 2 for Alfred 2. However, if you are still using Alfred 1, then this version will work for you.
I’m pleased to announce EggTimer, my first (public) extension for Alfred.
Alfred is an awesome productivity app for Mac — app launcher, file browser, hotkey manager, command prompt, file-actioner, and more, all in one sexy, functional and highly extensible interface. It’s free, but to get all the bells and whistles (and you really do want them) you’ll need the Powerpack. The Powerpack also allows you install extensions, so the tricks you can get Alfred to do are really only limited by you imagination. (My “Household Chores” extension is in the pipeline — but don’t hold your breath.) See some of the ways others have already extended Alfred: Extensions
EggTimer for Alfred is a simple timed-notification system that allows you to set reminders for yourself while you’re at your computer. Something on the stove? Tell (your digital) EggTimer to remind you. Don’t want to forget when your favourite TV show is about to start? EggTimer at your service. Need to remember to have a break every hour? You get the picture.
EggTimer supports multiple simultaneous timers, with snooze and repeat functionality. You can even set a timer to automatically repeat periodically.
The default keyword to use in Alfred is timer. In Alfred, set a timer with the following construction:
timer MINUTES Your Reminder
timer 30 Game of Thrones time!
And then, in 30 minutes time…
Here is a very brief summary of some of the other things you can get EggTimer to do. For more detailed information, bring up the Help page by typing timer help into Alfred once it’s installed. (The Help page will load automatically the first time you run EggTimer.)
- timer (with no additional parameters): Displays a list of currently running timers.
- timer every MINUTES Your Reminder: Create an auto-repeating timer.
- timer kill: Stop the last-completed auto-repeating timer.
- timer repeat MINUTES: Repeat the last-completed timer. (Omit the MINUTES to use its previous duration.)
- timer snooze: Repeat the last-completed timer for a preset duration. The default is 9 minutes.
- timer snooze MINUTES: Set the snooze duration for future timers. (Omit the MINUTES to see the current value.)
- timer reset: Cancel all running timers.
- timer about: Shows basic info about EggTimer, including the version number.
- Get EggTimer for Alfred v1 here.
EggTimer is intended for casual use while at your computer. Timers will not be restored after a shutdown or crash. (I may work on this for a later version.)
I hope you find EggTimer for Alfred useful. Please leave your feedback and suggestions in the comments below.